In the world of SEO, one of the most popular services to offer is a link building service for your clients. This allows for native, organic links back to your clients’ websites and helps to build a presence online. With link building you get higher search engine rankings, but it pays to be careful with link building. One of the oldest thought processes in the school of link building is that you have to spam links to your website everywhere. Google’s updates from the past year have quickly negated this practice and made it so link building is more of an art. In order to succeed with your link building service in the new year, follow these simple tips.
1. Link Building Still Survives
When Google made all their updates to rid the internet of those link building services that would spam, the internet then became awash with “link building is dead” posts. Link building isn’t dead, just link spamming activities are. A few examples of what doesn’t work anymore:
- Creating backlinks in bulk automatically
- Creating fake social network profiles to get backlinks
- Automated link networks
- The old favorite, spamming forums and anywhere with a comments section with fake or bad quality content to force backlinks
Links are one of the best ways for search engines to discover the relevance and importance of somebody or some company online. Over time, social, authorship and other types of markup give them even more information. It’s a gradual process that starts with organic links from your link building service.
2. The Relevance of the Link
One of the most important concepts Google introduced last year is that the context of the link is much more important than the link itself. If you have links on a bunch of websites that have no relation to the topic of your own website, Google will frown at this and penalize your link building service for it.
Another way to get the Google frowny penalty is to have all your links contain the same keyword, as this might trigger an “unnatural links” filter. Once again, the context of the link is the most important. You have to use multiple keywords that are related to your website’s topic. This will rate you higher as Google will find your website to be relevant for that topic.
3. Black Hat Spamming Techniques are Bad
Even with Google’s updates, there are still many out there who believe they can outsmart the search engine giant. Spamming tools will not work anymore, the faster any link building service embraces this, the faster companies will understand why their rankings are down.
There are many link schemes that Google hates, and here are a few link types you should avoid:
- Attempting to pass PageRank by buying or selling links
- Enormous link exchanges
- Using any automated link building service to create links to your site
- Text advertisements that pass PageRank
- Having links in articles or press releases distributed to other sites with optimized anchor text
- Having links in low-quality bookmark sites or directories
- Distributing links in the footers of websites
- Making forum comments with optimized links in the post or signature
These are the types of link building techniques that will get your website penalized and your search engine rankings to drop.
4. Personal Links are where it’s at
What are personal links? They are the links that require a bit of actual human interaction, and these are the links that the search engine God Google considers for their ranking algorithms. Like most things for SEO nowadays, quality trumps quantity. A few high quality links are much, much better than hundreds of backlinks created automatically.
By following these simple tips, your link building service can get your website ranked up quickly by avoiding black hat link building techniques and focusing on the quality of the links over the quantity of them.