The power of email marketing is often overlooked by both B2C and B2B companies. They will continue to do so at their own peril because emails can be one of the greatest weapons you have with regard to gaining new customers and clients as well as making your current base that much more profitable. To be so, however, you need to know what is working and what isn’t working. In some recently released data from Backlinko, and gathered from a multitude of sources, the data shows exactly where your email focus needs to be. The following is taken directly from that published research:
- A study by Experian found that email subject lines with an emoji increased open rates by 56%, as compared to text-only subject lines.
- Emails with personalized subject lines get a 26% boost in open rates.
- 47% of email recipients will open your email based solely on the subject line.
- The words “free”, “help”, “percent off”, and “reminder” in a subject line have been found to negatively impact open rates.
- Not sure if you’re sending too many emails? Companies see highest open rates when sending 2 emails per month.
- Including videos in your email can increase clickthrough rates by up to 300%. Adding a call-to-action button in your emails instead of simply a text link can lead to a 28% increase in click-throughs. Including social sharing buttons in your emails can increase CTR by 158%. You are 6x more likely to get a click from an email than from a tweet.
- 42.3% of people will delete an email if it’s not optimized for mobile. 69% of web customers are influenced by a company’s emails to make a purchase from their smartphone. If an email is read on mobile and then read for a second time on desktop, that consumer has a 65% higher likelihood of clicking through.
- Segmented email campaigns also earn 100.95% higher clickthrough rates as compared to non-segmented email campaigns. Segmented email marketing campaigns can lead to revenue increases of as much as 760%.
- Shopping cart abandonment emails sent 1 hour after the user leaves your site are the most effective. 59% of consumers say emails affect their purchase decisions. Sending 3 abandon cart emails yields 69% more orders than 1 email abandon cart campaigns.
- Nine out of ten B2B companies use email engagement as a content performance measure. 59% of B2B marketers cite email as their top channel for revenue generation. Email newsletters are the most-used type of content marketing for 81% of B2B marketers.
- A case study by Monetate found that 4.24% of email marketing traffic will make a purchase compared to 2.49% of search engine traffic and .59% of traffic from social media.
- The best day of the week to send a marketing email is Tuesday. Thursday is the second best day to send an email. Email marketing is the most effective way of nurturing leads. 31% of businesses cite newsletters as their highest-performing tactic in this area.
- Shoppers spend 138% more when marketed to through email, as compared to those who do not receive email offers. One study found that the ROI on email was 28.5% compared to 7% for direct mail. 320% more revenue is driven from automated emails than non-automated emails.
-Written by Kevin Sawyer