A good blog tells your readers what you want to tell them and leaves it at that. A great blog, however, educates and informs your audience. It also uses optimization with search engines and makes you energized to create it to make it great. If you feel like your blog posts have gotten bland lately and you aren’t happy with your content, take these five tips into consideration to improve your blog.
1. The Title Draws In the Reader: As with any blog post, the title is the first thing your audience is going to see. Engaging words and phrases that create a sense of wonder and curiosity are more likely to be clicked. Add this with your keywords that go with the topic of the blog entry, then you have a title that works.
A catchy title should include your target keywords to make it more likely to get indexed by Google. You can test your titles as well to see what works better for your audience. Titles that ask questions will draw in many readers wanting to know the answers to those questions.
2. The Content is Easy to Read: Organizing your content in an easy to read manner is one of the most important things that a blogger can do. The easier it is for your audience to consume your content, the easier it will be for them to receive and remember it as well.
A way to do this is to create your blog with your audience in mind. If your target audience is mainly business professionals, avoid the technical jargon and get to the point quickly.
Learn to write short paragraphs that only consist of a few sentences each. This is in favor of the AP Style of writing, which can help improve your blog entries and give them more of a professional look.
Subheadings can help create a cleaner look and helps out the reader as it lets them find what they’re looking for quickly.
Lists are your friends. By creating lists, you’ll have an easily organized blog entry that will get shared frequently due to the fact that it is easy to consume, this will create links back to your blog.
3. Use Different Kinds of Content: The content within your blog entry is important as long as it is high quality and employs a mix of content. There are many ways to do this:
- Use Media: Images and video allow you to add a visual element to your blog entries that will create more of an effective message.
- Your Opinion Matters: If you’re considered an expert in your industry then your opinion is relevant to your audience.
- Provide Real World Examples: The best examples are those that come from personal experience. It provides details you don’t normally get and gives you a more human element to your readership.
- Credit your Research: The data you use is more credible when you link to it in your blog entries. This lets your audience know that you do your research and gives you credibility.
4. Is Your Blog Search Engine Optimized? When it comes to the web, SEO controls your rankings on search engine results. This will help you create a reader base once you learn to understand what you need to do with SEO. The simplest way is to understand your audience and write for them. There are some SEO elements to consider though.
An excerpt of your post shows when your blog shows up on search results, this description could decide if someone decides to click through to your blog. Try to summarize your post within the first two sentences of any blog entry.
Keywords are your best friends and can help you figure out what your audience is looking for. By knowing the words they’re searching for you can be found on the search results of your target audience.
Using links can also help generate traffic to your site. Inbound links to your blog are a great way to boost the ranking of your blog. The best way to get these links is to make your blog extraordinary so that people will want to link to it.
5. Audience Participation is Key: The best blogs are those that not only share their message but also interact with their audience. You want to encourage your audience to comment and to start a conversation on your blog. These comments show the search engines that your blog is generating traffic and has fresh content and it will get ranked higher because of it.
These tips can help you improve your blog immensely and will create more of an interesting, interactive blog that will help your audience understand what you’re trying to say. This will create more traffic to your site and higher rankings with search engines. If you have more blogging tips for the up and coming blogger feel free to post them below!