Social media will continue its dominance as one of the most effective outlets for your marketing efforts. With knowledge will come the ability to choose the right platforms for you company and to end up being in the right place at the right time. Some new research done by Hootsuite demonstrates how important it is to know where social media is right now. The following are excerpts from the research:
- 72% of American adults use social media
- 78% of American women use social media vs 65% of American men
- 73% of American adults use YouTube—making it the most popular social media platform
- 3.46 billion people use mobile devices for social media—and that number is likely to grow since 5.11 billion people now have mobile phones
- 366 million new people started using social media in 2018 alone. That’s more than a million new people joining social media every single day.
- Daily active users: 1.623 billion
- Monthly active users: 2.44 billion
- Facebook Messenger now has more than 1.3 billion monthly active users
- More than 50% of Facebook users speak a language other than English
- More than 89% of Facebook’s monthly active users live outside of the U.S.
- 10% (247 million) of monthly active users live in the U.S.
- 15% (387 million) monthly active users live in Europe
- 41% (1.01 billion) of monthly active users live in Asia-Pacific, the fastest growing region
- 32% (802 million) of monthly active users live in the rest of the world
- Most Facebook users in the United States live in urban areas, followed by suburban, and rural
- 75% of U.S. adults who use Facebook make $75,000+
- More than 1 billion monthly active users
- Daily active users: 500 million users
- More than 500 million daily active Instagram Stories users
- Instagram is more popular with women than it is with men globally—though only slightly, with 52% female and 48% male users
- Household income is distributed somewhat evenly among Instagram users. The amount of American users who make $75,000 or more is tied with American users who make $30,000-$49,999.
- 660 million registered members
- 303 million monthly active users
- 91% of executives rate LinkedIn as their first choice for professionally relevant content
- LinkedIn is most popular among 25-49-year-olds
- Men and women are equally represented on the platform
- 44% of LinkedIn users have incomes over $75,000
- 75% of LinkedIn users have incomes of over $50,000
YouTube has grown into the single most popular social media site in America.
YouTube has a global audience of more than 2 billion logged-in monthly users
- 73% of all adults in the US use YouTube
- 81% of 15–25 year-olds in the U.S. use YouTube
- YouTube reaches more 18-34-year-olds and 18-49-year-olds than any cable network in the U.S.
- YouTube is more popular with teenage boys: 85% of boys 13-17-years old watch YouTube daily, versus 70% of girls
- 84% of U.S. adults who make more than $75,000 a year are YouTube users
- Almost 15% of YouTube’s site traffic comes from the U.S.
- People watch YouTube in 88 countries and 76 languages around the world
- 93% of video watchers in India are watching YouTube
- The vast majority of YouTube users live in urban areas
- Only 33% of popular YouTube videos are in English
-Written by Kevin Sawyer